The city of Johnston is taking steps to become a Home Base Iowa community, where the city and businesses within our city commit to welcome transitioning military members and their families who are leaving military service and becoming Iowans. Camp Dodge, home to the Iowa National Guard, is located within Johnston and is a significant contributor to the Johnston community.
We invite you to help us become a Home Base Iowa community. Here is what you can do:
To become a “Home Base Iowa Business”
- The business pledges to hire a specific number of veterans.
- This standard may be met by providing a signed letter or other signed written statement to Iowa Workforce Development. Such statement should indicate the number of veterans the company pledges to hire by December 31, 2018. Though any documentation is public record under Iowa law, Home Base Iowa will only promote the fact that the business has pledged, not the number it pledged. Home Base Iowa will promote an aggregate statewide number.
- The business commits to posting its jobs on the Home Base Iowa website through IowaJobs.
- This standard may be met by certifying such commitment in a signed letter or other signed written statement provided to Iowa Workforce Development. The business does not need to post jobs exclusively to the Home Base Iowa site.
- The business becomes a member of Skilled Iowa.
- This standard may be attained by meeting the existing Skilled Iowa standards, or by demonstrating that the business is already a Skilled Iowa member.
- Please contact the City of Johnston if your business would like to become a Home Base Iowa Business
- To become a “Home Base Iowa Community”
- The community obtains a resolution of support from the appropriate local governing body.
- The Johnston City Council will take up its resolution on March 2.
- We are currently seeking donations to include in the incentive package we will offer veterans when they come to Johnston. Please contact the City of Johnston if your business would like to donate toward Johnston’s incentive package. Other communities have included hotel stays, gift baskets, passes to fitness centers, the elimination of closing costs, and/or help finding housing.
- Do you have questions about Home Base Iowa and how to get involved? Please contact them today at 1-855-942-4692.